Wednesday, February 1, 2012

#2: Forget Me Nots

Forget Me Not Flowers represent True Love and Memories.



I remember my aunt Mai coming home from the Relief Society Conference gushing about President Utchdorf's talk on the Forget Me Not flowers. I love President Utchdorf, he is my favorite general authority, so of course I went online and watched the talk.

I fell in love.

I felt so loved, even though he didn't know me individually.

The talk had five points, each for the petal on the flower, they are:

1. Forget not to be patient with yourself
2. Forget not the differences between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice
3. Forget not to be happy now
4. Forget not the "why" of the gospel
5. Forget not that the Lord loves you

The third one touched home with me because it is the very reason I'm doing this blog now.

Often times we feel everything is weighing down on us in a moment. Many people tell us that it will be alright that this moment will pass. That this is only a small part and insignificant.

But we can't see it. We can only see the moment because . . . all we know is now. We can't read the future.

I am guilty of both. I tell everyone it's alright but I . . . sometimes live in the moment.

But it's part of being a youth. Part of being young. Our minds can't comprehend a future because we have lived very short lives.

So this flower makes me all better. It reminds me of Life's purpose.

It helps me remember, forget not, that, in Sarah Kay's words: "Life will hit you, hard, in the face, wait for you to get back up so it can kick you in the stomach, but getting the wind knocked out of you is
the only way to remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air."

She could not have put it more perfectly. 

I love the taste of air. I love how in the winter time, you can see your breath makes it's presence known. I love how in the summer time, you can taste the hot sun when you breathe. 

This little flower reminds me of all of this. It tells me not to forget. That I have so much to hold on too and even though it seems impossible. Even more room to hold more.


P.S. I have an empty vase sitting in my room. I think I remember my vase telling me it likes to hold Forget Me Not flowers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment